Should roofers take extra care during Autumn?
You join us here for this happy edition of roofing accidents and statistics where we ask hard-hitting questions such as, Should, a roofer in Cardiff take extra safety precautions during the Autumn? Well, let’s find out, shall we?
Firstly, it should be said, of course, that roofing is one of the most dangerous professions in the UK as most of it is working at height and any mistake could be fatal. In fact, being a Cardiff roofer is the 7th most dangerous job to have in the country, the workers above it are in the construction sector, which may well include some roofing work, Farming, Manufacturing, Nursing, and Waste Management.
The National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries keeps a record of just what it says in its title and 2019 there were 111 fatalities per 100k of roofers which gives you about a 0.1% chance of dying if you choose to be a roofer in Cardiff. However, let’s look at that in a positive way which gives you a 99.9% chance of not dying. The slightly worrying statistic is though that the previous year only half that amount, of fatal accidents were recorded.
One of the most important things you can do as a roofer in Cardiff is logged any accidents that happen with RIDDOR or The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations. RIDDOR puts duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses). It’s also important that you have a specialist insurance plan that protects you, your staff, members of the public and your company from expensive claims. Whether you’re a roofer operating as a business or on a self-employed basis, you’ll need an insurance policy to protect how you earn your living. Often, you’ll need a policy with a range of cover options such as public liability, employer’s liability, property damage cover and professional indemnity.
So, back to the question at hand which is, Should, roofers take extra care in Autumn?
Well, the first thing to say is that Autumn is the peak time for roof repairs, roof restoration and roof replacement in Cardiff so if there are more roofers on roofs in Autumn than in other seasons then I would imagine that there will be more accidents. The biggest contributor though would have to be falling leaves that become very slippery and dangerous in the Autumn. Unlike the snow, where you would be hard-pressed to get someone on the roof when it’s blowing a snowstorm outside, you can have a lovely Autumnal day where the sun is shining but there is a bit of dew on the scaffolding, or a few leaves have blown onto the roof, or the ladder and the dangerous situation is not as apparent. This could be another factor as to why there are more roofing accidents in Autumn than in other seasons of the year.
If you are a property owner and not a roofer, then Autumn can be the season of preparing your roof for the winter to come. However, before you can start patching holes and replacing tiles, it’s important to fully understand what kind of condition your roof is in.
The more information you have, the easier it will be to address problems that might pop up between now and winter and answering these types of questions can maybe help you get an idea if your roof needs attention, either now or after the winter has finished as don’t forget that getting a roofer out in the middle of the winter may well be a bit tricky and also very expensive. Firstly then, How, old is your roof? A new roof should not give you any issues of course but if your roof is over 10 years old there may well be problems starting to appear on it. Next up we would consider when it was last inspected and were then any issues then that were not dealt with? Could anything have deteriorated since that inspection? What is your roof made from? Is it a tiled roof, a flat roof, even a thatched roof? All different types of the roof will require different types of maintenance to fully maintain their correct function.
Does your roof drain correctly or are there any parts that collect water or leave standing water that could, eventually, ruin the roofing material it sits on? Are all your gutters, fascias, and soffits all ok condition wise? If any of these are defective, then this could also affect your roof’s condition. Remember the most popular and sensible time to check all of this is in the Autumn before the winter which is almost certainly another reason why the stats for roofing deaths and injuries are higher than any other season.
Every home and commercial property is different, but an Autumnal inspection is a good idea for all roofs. As it’s a busy time then you will need to book quite far in advance with any reputable roofing company in Cardiff. Taking extra time to gather all the information on your roof will protect your home from issues that you might not have considered during the winter months.
The last reason we suggest that you look to get a qualified and respectable roofer to perform an inspection in the Autumn is that as the weather starts to get a bit colder animals and birds may well start to look for places to stay and a nice warm roof with easy access is a very enticing place to do just that.
Mice, squirrels, and birds – just to name a few – will start attacking your roof for weak areas, trying to find an easy way in. Whether you live in a residential or heavily wooded area, a damaged roof is an open invitation to animals to start a new life on your property.
The best way to keep birds and animals out of your loft is to ensure that your roof is properly installed and sealed. A small opening is all they need to get inside, often causing lots of damage in the process.
Well, we hope that you have enjoyed reading about why Autumn appears to be the most dangerous time to work on a roof in Cardiff and if you are going to please take very good care of yourself or even better, hire a professional roofing company in Cardiff to do the work for you. Be that roof replacement, tile replacement, repairs, or preventative maintenance, getting it all ready for a snug winter. Thanks very much for reading.